Cannot make my TP-Link smart devices work with Alexa
Note：This troubleshooting FAQ is for the device that connected to the Tapo app. For matter devices, please kindly check this FAQ.
Case 1 Unable to link with Alexa
- Ensure your Tapo/Kasa and Alexa APP is up to date. It is recommended to try uninstalling and reinstalling the two apps that need to be lined.
- For Android phones, if you come to a web page instead of Alexa/Tapo/Kasa after starting the link procedure, please check your APP settings as be
- If you start the link in Alexa (enable the skill) but failed, please try to start the link in Tapo/Kasa APP > Me > Third-Party service.
- If you still can’t finish the link procedure, please contact TP-Link technical support and provide the exact time you fail to connect to Alexa.
Case 2 Cannot discover the device or some devices do not show up on Alexa app
- Speak the voice command "discover my devices" to rediscover the device.
- Disable and then re-enable the skill. Please refer to the steps below.
- Reset your Tapo/Kasa devices and re-link them in Tapo/Kasa app.
- If your devices still can’t be discovered in Alexa app, please record the time of your last attempt to discover devices and contact TP-Link technical support.
Case 3 Fail to watch live stream in Alexa app/Echo Show
Note：Not all cameras support this feature.
- Disable Wi-Fi of your phone, and check if you can access the device via cellular data on Tapo/Kasa app. If not, please refer to the FAQ to troubleshoot.
- If you can successfully access the device on Tapo/Kasa app via cellular data, please record the time of the failed attempt and contact TP-Link technical support.
Case 4 Device is not responding to voice command
- Check if you can manually control the device on Alexa app. If not, please refer to troubleshooting steps in Case 4.
- Ensure that you logged in to the primary user account on the Alexa app. A Household account cannot control devices via voice commands. If you are unsure, use the voice command to have Alexa switch accounts: "Alexa, switch accounts".
Case 5 Cannot control device in Alexa app
- Disable Wi-Fi of your phone, and check if you can access the device via cellular data on Tapo/Kasa app. If not, please refer to the FAQ for device network troubleshooting.
- If you can successfully control the device on Tapo/Kasa app via cellular data, please record the time of your last attempt to manage the device in Alexa and contact TP-Link technical support.
Is this faq useful?
Your feedback helps improve this site.
Still need help? Search for answers, ask questions, and get help from TP-Link experts and other users around the world.