How to use Deco With Your Existing Router
If you have a router or a modem router at home already, you can connect the Deco to your existing router to extend the network.
Network Topology Examples
Generally, there are two typical network layouts in this scenario.
Deco supports 2 operation modes: Wireless Router Mode and Access Point Mode.
When your Deco is operating in Router mode, it’s suggested to only connect the main Deco to the existing router via Ethernet, a network loop may occur.
When your Deco is operating in Access Point mode, you can connect more than 1 Deco unit to the existing router directly via Ethernet.
You can change the operation mode after the Deco’s initial setup.
Before You Begin
1. To make ensure a smooth setup process, please disable the Power-Saving mode feature on your phone.
2. For iOS14 and above, enabling the Local Network option is required to complete the configuration process.
3. The guide linked below explains how to use your Deco with a modem router or a router. Please refer to this guide if you have a standalone modem.
Note: Features available in Deco may vary by model and firmware version. All steps and images described here are only examples and may not reflect your actual Deco experience.
In this case, the Deco X60 is used as an example.
1. Open Google Play (Android) or the App Store (iOS) to download the Deco App. Install the Deco app on your Android or iOS smartphone or tablet.
2. Open the Deco App. Log in or sign up to set up a TP-Link ID.
Note: If you already have a TP-Link Cloud account, you can log in with your account.
3. Tap Let’s begin.
4. Select your Deco model.
5. Unpack the contents of the box. Once you verify you have everything you need, move on to the next step.
6. Connect one of your Deco units to your router via Ethernet cable directly.
Note: You can skip the below steps if you connect the Deco to your router. The instructions on the Deco app are for how to use your Deco with a modem.
7. Check your router.
Make sure that you can access the Internet from the existing router.
8. Wait until the Deco’s status LED pulses blue.
Note: If the LED is not pulsing blue, press the RESET on Deco for one second, and the LED will turn yellow. Then, please wait for about 2 minutes until the LED begins pulsing blue and then continue.
9. Connect your phone to the Deco’s default SSID printed on the bottom label (such as Deco_ XXXX).
Note: Some phones may connect to the default SSID automatically. The Deco app will notify you if it detects you are connected to the Deco Mesh.
10. Assign your connected Deco to a room. The location will be also used as this Deco’s name.
11. Select "Dynamic IP" as the internet connection type and leave "IPTV/VLAN Settings" turned off, then proceed to the next step.
12. Create your Wi-Fi network name and password.
13. Connect your phone/tablet to the Deco’s Wi-Fi.
14. At this point, the setup is complete. You may now connect all your devices to the Deco network.
15. If you have other Deco units in the same package:
- For Wi-Fi 6 or above Decos, simply power on these Decos in the same room as the main Deco, and they will be added to the network within 2 minutes.
- For other models, you can add more Decos using the instructions in this FAQ.
After setting up the additional Deco nodes, you can relocate these Decos to locations of your preference.
Is this faq useful?
Your feedback helps improve this site.
Still need help? Search for answers, ask questions, and get help from TP-Link experts and other users around the world.