How do I install TP-Link Archer router to work with a Cable Modem ?
Before you start, you can refer to the Video first:
If your router is an old UI, please refer to How do I install TP-Link router to work with a Cable Modem? (Old UI)
1．Unplug your modem, and remove the backup battery if it has one.
2．Connect the powered-off modem to the router’s Internet port with an Ethernet cable.
3．Power on the modem, and then wait about 2 minutes for it to restart.
4. Connect the power adapter to the router and turn it on.
5. Connect your computer to the router.
6. Check for the LEDs to confirm the hardware connection, then refer to the following step to setup
Note: If the 2.4 GHz LED and 5 GHz LED are off, press and hold the WPS/Wi-Fi button on the back for more than 2 seconds. Both the LEDs should turn solid.
Or you can refer to the QIG in the packet to connect the hardware.
Note: please make sure you are able to access the internet with a direct connection from the main computer to your cable modem. If the direct connection doesn’t work, please contact your Internet Service Provider.
Here takes Archer C7_V5 as a demonstration.
Log in to the router’s web-based interface, to get some help, please refer to the article How do I log into the web-based Utility (Management Page) of TP-Link wireless router?
Configure WAN Connection Type
Select Dynamic IP as the Internet Connection Type on the right of the web page, shown as below. Then click Save button.
Wait for a few minutes and check the Internet part on the Status page, if it shows any IP address (similar as below), that means the connection between the Router and the Modem is established. If there is no IP address, please move to step 4.
If there is still no IP address, please do the following:
- Restart the router first, wait for about 10 seconds, and connect your end device like a computer, laptop to the router.
- Power off the modem, and unscrew the coaxial cable
- Power on the modem, Check LEDs on the Router, make certain the WAN/Internet LED is on.
- Reconnect the coaxial cable to the modem and check if you can access the internet.
Note: Some cable modem has a back-up battery inside. To completely restart the cable modem, please take the battery out, and then unplug the power supply.
Get to know more details of each function and configuration please go to Download Center to download the manual of your product.
Your feedback helps improve this site.