Troubleshooting: Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices
There are different situations in relation to the slow speed issue, please refer to the steps below to locate the problem and troubleshoot it according to the corresponding suggestions.
1. Things you should be aware of before testing speed:
- Make sure every Deco unit is properly placed, DO NOT put them into closets, TV cabinets, or any kind of enclosed space. Put them in an open space if you can.
- If you are using a wired PC to test speed, please make sure all the Ethernet cables and PC support 1Gbps (gigabyte) connection. (Ignore this if your broadband is slower than 100Mbps)
- If you are using a wireless device to test speed, make sure the wireless device is 5Ghz supported and capable of reaching high speed. Some old laptop's Wireless Network Adapter is not able to reach high speed.
- Speedtest in "Deco APP>>>MORE menu" measures the maximum speed of the main Deco, it doesn't mean all devices connected to Deco could reach that speed.
- Speedtest in Deco Lab measures your cellphone's real-time speed, the results of this speedtest should be the same with Speedtest App of Ookla.
2. Methods and Steps to verify speed:
- Use Ookla Speedtest App or https://www.speedtest.net to measure Internet speed.
- Verify maximum broadband speed by connecting a Gigabyte PC directly into the ISP Modem first.
- Verify wired speed into the Main Deco after verifying the ISP Modem's maximum speed.
- Disconnecting every wireless device if you are trying to measure the maximum wireless speed of Deco units, if multiple wireless devices are using the Wi-Fi network at the same time, speedtest results might not be satisfying.
- Always reconnect Wi-Fi on your cellphones/laptops every time you perform a speedtest. Because some wireless devices might not support mesh and connect to the wrong Deco node which will cause a speed decrease.
- Try removing QoS settings: Deco APP>>>QoS>>>(Set Application priority to Standard, Remove all high priority devices, set the Bandwidth to 1000Mbps upload and 1000Mbps download)
- Try turning off the UPNP feature in the Deco app. ( If you can't find this feature in the Advanced menu, you may ignore this one. ) (Kindly note that some online games might not be able to connect after turning off UPNP on the Deco.)
- Try downloading a Wi-Fi Analyzer Tool on your cellphone to check wireless channel interferences, crowded Wi-Fi channel will cause a severe performance decrease.
Sill thinking the speed you are getting from the Deco system is not satisfying?
Please Contact US along with your speedtest results, Deco network topology, speedtest devices, etc.
You may obtain the information of your PC’s network adapter from here: (For Windows PC only)
- Press WIN+R on the keyboard, type in “cmd” and enter, you will see a small black window.
- In the small black window, type in “ipconfig /all” and press enter, the information of your network adapters will be printed.
- Please copy the whole content of this window while contacting us, this information would be more helpful when troubleshooting this issue.
The speed won't be more than 100Mbps If the Ethernet port is marked as a 100Mbps port. You may check the information on the Specifications of the TP-Link website or your box.
Your feedback helps improve this site.