TP-Link, Reliably Smart
- Whole-Home Wi-Fi
- Modems/ Gateways
- Network Expansion
- Smart Home
- Mobile Wi-Fi
- JetStream Switches
- Auranet Businesss Wi-Fi
- Pharos Wireless Broadband
- SafeStream Router
How to install TP-Link wireless router to work with a DSL Modem (PPPoE)?User Application RequirementUpdated 04-17-2019 02:38:10 AMThis Article Applies to:TL-WR54KIT , TL-WR841N , TL-WDR3500TL-WR54KIT , TL-WR841N , TL-WDR3500 , TL-WR743ND , TL-WR543G , TL-WR2543ND , Archer C50( V1 ) , TL-WDR4900 , TL-MR3420 , TL-WR941ND , TL-WR843N , TL-WR710N , TL-WDR4300 , TL-R402M , TL-WR541G , TL-R860 , TL-WR702N , TL-WR802N , TL-WR700N , TL-WR841HP , TL-WR340G , TL-WR1043ND , TL-WR1042ND , TL-WR300KIT , TL-WDR3600 , TL-WR542G , TL-WR842N , TL-WR150KIT , Archer C20( V1 ) , TL-WR940N , Archer C7( V1 V2 V3 ) , Archer C20i , TL-WR741ND , TL-WR740N , TL-WR840N , TL-WR841ND , TL-WR810N , TL-WR340GD , TL-WR720N , TL-WR843ND , TL-WR842ND , TL-MR3020 , Archer C5( V1.20 ) , Archer C2( V1 ) , TL-R460 , TL-MR3220 , TL-MR3040Note: This article is not relevant to you if you have any of the following conditions.
Advanced Preparations：1．Turn off your modem, router and computer.2．Connect your modem to the WAN port of the TP-Link router via an Ethernet cable; connect a computer to TP-Link router’s LAN port via an Ethernet cable.3．Power on your router and computer first and then modem.Step 1Log into the router’s web-based management pageTo log into the router’s web-based management page, please refer to:Step 2Configure WAN Connection TypeOn the router’s management page, click Network > WAN on the left of the web page:Change the WAN Connection Type to PPPoE.Step 3Enter your PPPoE username and password which are provided by your ISP.Step 4Click Save to save your settings, then the router will connect to Internet after a while.Step 5Wait for a few minutes and check the WAN part on the Status page, if it shows any IP address (similar as below), that means the connection between the Router and the Modem is established.Step 6If there is not wan IP address and no internet access, please do a Power Cycle as the below:1. Turn the DSL modem off first, then turn your router and computer off, and leave them off for about 2 minutes;
- Your modem is a fiber/cable modem. You can get internet access automatically from the modem without any other activity.However, Internet access is only available for one user, cannot be shared to more users please refer to How do I install TP-Link router to work with a fiber/Cable Modem
- Your ISP provides static IP address for you, before you buy the TP-Link router, you need to configure the computer’s IP address manually to access the internet, please refer to How do I install TP-Link wireless router to work with a Modem (Static IP)
- You can get internet access automatically from the modem without any other activity. What’s more, the modem’s Internet access is available for more than one user, can be shared to more users, please refer to How do I install TP-Link router to work with a ADSL modem (Dynamic IP)
2. Turn the DSL modem on first, wait till the modem gets ready, then turn the router and your computer back on.
Get to know more details of each function and configuration please go to Download Center to download the manual of your product.Is this faq useful?
Your feedback helps improve this site.Any other feedback?How can we improve it?Thank you
We appreciate your feedback.
Click here to contact TP-Link technical support.