Fail to setup main Deco
You may encounter one of the following problems or error codes appearing during the basic configuration of the main Deco, please refer to the below suggestions for troubleshooting when you have the problems.
LED on the main Deco is abnormal
1. LED is not pulsing blue
Find the RESET button at the bottom of the Deco, press it for one second, then release it, and then the LED on the main Deco will turn yellow, then wait for 2 minutes till the LED turn pulsing blue.
2. LED is off
Change the power adapter and power socket to have a try. It could be an issue with the Deco unit, the power adapter, or the power socket.
If the above suggestions can’t solve your problem, it’s suggested to contact TP-Link support.
Get stuck on finding the default Wi-Fi name of Deco or can’t connect to the default Wi-Fi name.
Note: this step is not suited for Deco M5, M1300, P7, and M9 Plus.
1. Reset the Deco by pressing the bottom reset button for 1 second.
2. Reboot your phone, turn off the Wi-Fi/WLAN on the phone and turn it back on; try a different phone.
3. Check if the phone has a VPN program running. If yes, please disable the VPN program for a try.
4. Set a different Deco work as the main Deco.
Get stuck on “Looking for deco”, Error code: We couldn’t find your deco.
For Deco M5, P7, and M9 Plus
1. Make sure Deco is powered on and has a flashing blue light.
2. Move your phone closer to the Deco.
3. Disable Bluetooth and then enable it again on the mobile phone. If there is a Bluetooth device connected to the phone, please disconnect it temporarily.
4. Force the app to close (do not let the deco app run in the background), and then launch the app to configure the main Deco again.
5. Use another Deco unit as the main Deco; use a different phone to configure Deco if you have one.
Note: For iOS 13 or higher version devices, please go to Settings on the iOS device, find the Deco app, and enable Bluetooth permission for the Deco app.
For the other models
1. Move the phone closer to the main Deco. Make sure the phone has connected to the Deco Wi-Fi and has a valid IP address.
2. Force to close the Deco app (do not let the deco app run in the background), and then launch the app to configure the main Deco again.
3. Use another Deco unit as the main Deco, and use a different phone to configure Deco if you have one.
Get stuck on “Detecting Internet Connection Type”, Error Code: It Looks like Deco is not properly connected.
1. Confirm the wired connection between the main Deco and the modem is fine.
2. Use a different Ethernet cable to connect the modem and the main Deco; change the LAN ports on the modem for a try.
3. Change the port on the Deco for a try, or connect a different Deco to the modem, then set up the Deco network again.
Get stuck on “Creating Wi-Fi network”, Error Code: Failed to connect to TP-Link Cloud/Unable to apply your network settings/Failed to create Wi-Fi network.
1. Check the LED status on the main Deco, and if the LED is solid green or solid white, it means the Deco is working.
You can force the Deco app to close, go to the Settings -> Wi-Fi page of the phone to connect to the new Wi-Fi network, and then enjoy the internet.
2. If the error message notice that the Wi-Fi name you just set is the same as other Deco network, please reset the Deco and set it up again with a different Wi-Fi name.
Get stuck on “Connect to your Wi-Fi network”, Error Code: Failed to connect to XXXX (new Wi-Fi name).
1. Make sure your phone connects to the Wi-Fi name you created rather than other Wi-Fi networks.
2. Check whether the phone has a VPN program running or not. If yes, please disable the VPN program and tap “Try Again” in the Deco app.
Get stuck on “Test Internet Connection”, Error Code: Unable to connect to the Internet.
1. Tap Skip This Step on the bottom of the error page, click on More->Advanced->IPv4 on the Deco app, check the IPv4 address and change the DNS server to 220.127.116.11 for a try. Here is the instruction.
2. Connect a computer to the modem directly, and check if the computer has internet access or not. If there is no internet access on the computer, it’s suggested to contact ISP.
If the computer has internet access, use the same Ethernet cable and the same port on the modem to connect to the main Deco, then check whether the Deco will work or not. You can also reboot the modem for a try.
3. If you have an old router and it's working when connecting to the modem, connect your network devices as modem-old router-main Deco, reset the main deco, and set it up.
If the main Deco is working, connect it to the modem directly and check the internet with Deco.
If the above suggestions do not solve your problem, it’s suggested to contact TP-Link support.
Is this faq useful?
Your feedback helps improve this site.