How to restore the switch to the default factory settings using the bootUtil?
Generally, if the switch has a Reset button, you can use the Reset button to restore all the configurations to the default factory settings. For the switches without the Reset button, you can use reset command in privileged EXEC mode to restore the system. If you have forgotten the username or password, please use the bootUtil.
To restore the switch to the default factory settings through the bootUtil, follow these steps:
- Connect your PC to the Console port of the switch with a serial cable.
- Start a terminal emulation program (such as the Hyper Terminal) on the PC and configure the terminal emulation program as follows:
- Baud Rate: 38400bps
- Data Bits: 8
- Parity: None
- Stop Bits: 1
- Flow Control: None
- Power off and restart the switch. Perform the operation indicated by the terminal emulation program to reach the bootUtil menu. The operations differ depending on the product model. Possible operations are listed below:
- Press any key to stop autoboot.
- Press CTRL+B to reach the bootUtil menu.
The bootUtil menu will appear:
- Enter the corresponding number of the Reset option, which is 2 in this example, and enter Y to confirm the choice. The switch will restore to its default factory settings and reboot.
- Log in to the switch again. The default username and password are both admin.
Your feedback helps improve this site.