How to upgrade the firmware of TP-Link Wireless Router online?(New Logo)
1. This FAQ is suitable for TP-Link wireless router with cloud functions, such as Archer C8 V3, Archer C9 V3/V4 and so on.
2. Currently most of the applicable models only support the online upgrade feature, and other cloud functions will be added in the future firmware.
3. As for Archer C5400 V1, only the EU version supports the cloud services. Please check the hardware version on the label at the back of the router.
4. Please pay attention to the Notes of the firmware you downloaded. In some cases new firmware cannot support a backup file of the older firmware. If this is the case, you will need to reconfigure the router manually.
The online upgrade is one of the cloud functions available on select TP-Link wireless routers. With this feature, customers do not have to manually download and install the firmware any longer. Now a customer can simply click the Upgrade icon and the router itself will complete the whole process automatically.
Online upgrade through web management page:
Connect your device to the TP-Link wireless router either via Ethernet or wirelessly. Then open a browser and type http://tplinkwifi.net in the address bar. Press Enter and login the router.
If there is an update available, you will be notified by the Update icon in the upper right corner (if there is not update, the icon will not appear). Click Update and you will redirect to the Firmware Upgrade page on which you can check the latest firmware version and release notes.
Click on the Upgrade button to begin the upgrade. Then wait until the router finishes the upgrade process, which will include a router reboot at the end.
*Note: Please make sure that you have a stable internet connection during the download process. Loss of connection during the process can damage the router.
Online upgrade through the Tether APP:
Connect your smartphone to the WiFi of the router. Then open the Tether app and login the router. Please tap the management icon at the bottom right corner, and you will see a red point in the System area which indicates there is new firmware for the router.
Tap System > Firmware Update, and you will find the new version of firmware.
Tap Learn More to learn the release logs of the new firmware (recommended).
Tap Update to begin the upgrade process.
*Note: Please pay attention to the release logs. If it mentions a reset after the upgrade, your previous configuration on the router including wireless settings will be reset to factory defaults, and you will need to connect your smartphone to the router with the default SSID and password printed on the bottom label.
- During the online upgrade, please DON’T power off the router, unplug the Ethernet or disconnect from the wireless.
- If you fail to download the firmware online, you can download it directly from the TP-Link official website. And follow the link below to manually upgrade the firmware.
Get to know more details of each function and configuration please go to Download Center to download the manual of your product.
Your feedback helps improve this site.