* The Range extender's resource CD cannot be used on MAC computers, but Mac users can use Safari to install the Range Extender through its built-in web interface according to the below instruction. This installation relates a lot to your existing wireless modem/router and computer's network settings, therefore, it would possibly take a longer time than setting up a normal modem/router. If you fail to setup the Range Extender finally after followed the below instruction, please click here to contact our technical support and tell us in which step you were stopped. We sincerely appreciate your patience and time.
Part 1: Collecting information of Root Router:
Before configuring the TL-WA730RE to make it successfully join to the router's wireless network, please confirm below information of your root router:
1. What's the router's LAN IP address?
----In this article, we take 192.168.0.254 for example.
2. What's the router's SSID (Wireless Network Name)?
----In this article, we take 2WIRE_TEST for example.
3. What's the router's security type (Encryption Type)?
----In this article, we take WPA2-PSK with AES for example.
4. What's the router's Security Key/Password?
----In this article, we take testtplink for example.
* If you are not sure about the above information of your router, please DO contact the router's vendor to confirm that important information and then continue with the below setup procedures.
Part 2: Assigning a static IP address on MAC computer
Please connect the MAC computer to the Range Extender's LAN port with theEthernet cable in the package. Then click the Apple menu and select System Preferences. When the System Preferences screen appears, please find Network and click it.
In the Network panel, please select Ethernet, then go for Configure IPv4, and select "Manually", fill in the parameters like below, and click Apply:
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Part 3: Configuring Range Extender
Please Open Safari, type http://192.168.1.254 (the default IP of TL-WA730RE) in the address bar and press enter, put in the default username and password "admin", then click Log In.
Click Network in the left menu of the management page, and change the IP address according to the below instructions:
A: If your root router's LAN IP address is 192.168.1.x(x ranges from 1-253), which is also in the same subnet with the TL-WA730RE, please skip to Step 3.
B: If your root router's LAN IP address is 192.168.1.254, please change the TL-WA730RE's IP address to 192.168.1.250 like below, then save the settings, and wait a minute until the TL-WA730RE finishes rebooting. Then open the http://192.168.1.250 with Safari again, and put in default username/password "admin", skip to Step 3.
C: If your root router's LAN IP address is 192.168.0.X(X ranges from 1-254),please change the TL-WA730RE's IP address to 192.168.0.Y like Picture 1, then save the changes and reconfigure MAC computer's Ethernet IP address to 192.168.0.Z according to below Picture 2.
*The X, Y, Z must be different numbers ranging from 1-254. Here we suppose the root router's IP is 192.168.0.254, we recommend you to change the TL-WA730RE's IP to 192.168.0.250(Picture 1) and click Save, then reconfigure MAC computer's Ethernet IP address to 192.168.0.100(Picture 2)and click Apply. After you have finished settings showing in Picture 1 and 2, please re-open Safari and login to the TL-WA730RE's management page by its new IP address: http://192.168.0.250 . The username/password are still "admin".
Please go to Wireless->Wireless Settings, Select Range Extender as the Operation Mode. Then click Search/Surveybutton, it will display all visible wireless signals around your location. Please find the SSID (wireless network name) of your root router and click on Connect, then Save it.
All visible signals:
Please go to Wireless -> Wireless Security page. According to Part 1 of this article, we have supposed the router's security type to be WPA2-PSK with AES, so here we do the same settings on the TL-WA730RE, and input the same password "testtplink" into the PSK Password field, then Save it.
* The Security settings on the Range Extender should be exactly the same with the root router. If you are not sure, please contact the vendor of your router to confirm that information.
Please go to System Tools-> Reboot page, click on Reboot button to restart this range extender. About 1 minute later, the Range Extender should work properly with the Root Router. You can test it like below:
Go to System Tools->Diagnostic, in the IP address/Domain Namefield, please type in the root router's IP address (we have supposed it to be192.168.0.254 in Part 1 of this article), then click on the Start button.
Note: If you get four "Reply from... (the root router's address)", that means the Range Extender is configured successfully. If you got the message of "Request Time out....", that means the connection from TL-WA730RE to your router is not established successfully. Please double check the above steps especially the Wireless Security settings.
So far we have finished all configurations on the range extender. If the above test shows that TL-WA730RE is configured successfully, please go back to MAC computer's Apple menu->System Preferences->Network ->Ethernet, change Configure IPv4 back to Using DHCP as it was before, and click Apply.
After that, please check whether you can access Internet. If YES, please unplug the Ethernet cable, turn on the Wi-Fi (Airport) of the MAC computer and check whether or not you can get a better wireless signal and access to Internet wirelessly.