This FAQ is for the users who subscribed the ADSL Modem service. If you are using Cable Modem, please ignore this article, and refer to How do I configure my TP-LINK router to work with a Cable Modem (Dynamic & Static IP).
Step 1: Before you Begin
Before you begin, please refer to this article: What do I need prepare before begin to install TP-LINK Router
--Please only use the Ethernet port on the modem. If you were using the USB connection before using the router, disconnect the USB cable and connect an Ethernet cable from the ADSL modem to the WAN port of the router.
--Make certain that you had disabled or uninstalled other third part PPPoE dialing up software such as WinPoet, Broadjump, or Enternet 300 from your computer, otherwise you will not be able to access the Internet. Some ISPs also provide similar PPPoE dialing up software.
Step 2 Connect your Network
1 Turn off your DSL modem, router and computer.
2 Connect the WAN port of the router to your ADSL modem with Ethernet cable.
3 Connect the phone line (DSL Line) to the Line port of your ADSL modem.
4 Connect your computer to one of the LAN ports on the TP-LINK router.
Step 3 Configure TP-LINK Router
1. Power on your router and computer. Open the web browser and type the LAN IP address of the router in the address bar (default is 192.168.1.1). Press [Enter] key.
2. Type the username and password in the login window (the default username and password are both admin), then click OK.
3. Click Network->WAN on the left side, and then choose the WAN connection type according to the red message below:
Before we choose the WAN connection type, please note:
--If your computer (directly connected to your ADSL Modem) is able to access the Internet automatically without running any additional program,
Please select Dynamic IP as the WAN connection type and Click Save;
Also it is highly recommend that Change the LAN IP to 192.168.2.1 for avoiding the IP collision.
Then Skip to Step 4 to continue this installation.
--If you used to create the PPPoE connection on your operating system, please change the WAN Connection Type to PPPoE.
4. Enter your PPPoE username and password which are provided by your ISP.
If you want to connect to Internet automatically, please change Wan Connection Mode to Connect Automatically, which supports your router always connect to the Internet even if it’s not in use.
5. Click Save to save your settings, then the router will connect to Internet after a while.
Step 4 Power Cycle
After done the configurations, you’d better do a Power Cycle, it will make your network work more stable.
1. Turn the cable modem off firstly, then turn your router and computer off, and leave them off for about 2 minutes;
2. Turn the cable modem on firstly, and wait till the modem works stable (All LED lights work normally).
3. Turn the router on and wait about 1 minute, and then power on your computer.
4. Repeat the steps 1-3 above until you connect to the Internet.
- What do I need prepare before begin to install TP-LINK Router
- How to configure TCP_IP Properties for my computer to connect to TP-LINK router
- How do I Log into the Web-based Utility (Management page) of TP-LINK router